Skimmia japonica 'Rubella' (male)
Japanese skimmia (male)
- available to order from summer
- 9cm pot
- Standard £4.95
- Position: partial to full shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, moist but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A compact male shrub with red-margined, deep green leaves. Dark red flower buds are produced in autumn and these last all through the winter until the flowers open in spring. A great shrub for growing in a pot or for filling in gaps in the garden border.
- Garden care: Lightly trim after flowering, if necessary. To improve the moisture retention qualities of the soil add plenty of well-rotted compost when planting.