Star begonia collection
- in stock
- 2+1 FREE collections
- in stock
- 1 collection
- Standard £4.95
Buy the collection of 3 begonias for pots and borders (1 of each variety) for £9.99 or buy 2 collections for £19.98 and get another collection FREE
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to the first frosts
- Hardiness: tender (needs frost protection)
Perfect for adding colour to hanging baskets and seasonal bedding displays, they will need to be kept in frost-free conditions and overwintered under glass. From late winter, the tubers can be potted up individually, with the indented side uppermost, gently pushing them into the surface of a good quality potting mix. When planting up hanging baskets, allow 3 tubers for each 12” basket. Immediately after potting, water well and then grow them on in bright, frost-free conditions, watering only when the compost gets quite dry. Move them outside after all risk of frost has passed and while they are actively growing, water more frequently and feed them with a balanced liquid fertiliser.
In each collection you will receive 1 tuber each of:
Begonia 'Blazing Star'
This is perfect if like to see bright colours in the summer garden. Low-growing and compact, it looks great in pots, but can also be used to line the front of the border, where it will flower without stopping for several months. Mix with yellows and reds for an eye-opening display. Grows to 25cm high.
Begonia 'Blushing Star'
Soft pink fully-petalled flowers appear for months on end from midsummer above the lustrous green foliage. Perfect for brightening up the patio in a pot or windowbox - where it could be under-planted with trailing lobelia. Grows to 25cm high.
Begonia 'Vibrant Star'
Flowering continuously from midsummer, this showy begonia is perfect for spots where you want to add some seasonal oomph. One of the best bedding plants for shadier spots, it will also take neglect in its stride. Grows to 25cm high.
- Garden care:Pot up in early spring when the growth can be seen emerging from the tubers. Begonias are tender so must be protected by frosts, however you can pot them up and grow them on under glass from January onwards. The indented side of the tuber is the top, and this should just be covered by a fine layer of compost. Water well and keep them in a bright, warm spot, watering again only when the soil becomes quite dry. Once they are actively growing they can be watered more regularly, especially those growing in sunnier positions, but make sure that the compost or soil is never overly wet or waterlogged. During the growing season they can be fed with a balanced liquid fertiliser. Begonias grown in the ground should be lifted before the first hard frosts and left to die back before being stored in a well ventilated, dry place over the winter. Container-grown plants should be brought under cover during winter and 'potted on' into a slightly larger container each year in spring.