- in stock
- 15cm pot - 22cm tall
- Standard £4.95
- Next / named day £7.95
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Compost: specialist cacti compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 22cm (including pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 16cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot.
Originating from the plains and dryer regions in parts of South America where it grows in groves to tree-like proportions, this impressive cactus is noted for its long, sharp spines (hence its common name), which in its native environment, act as a defence against grazing animals in their native environment. Inside the home (and when kept in a pot), it remains more compact, but the spines are still impressive! Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Home care: Place it in a bright spot and in spring and summer, water when the compost gets dry, but make sure it never sits in excess water for any length of time. In autumn and winter cut back on the watering but do not let it dry out completely. Avoid a humid atmosphere (no bathrooms or steamy kitchens) and in the warmer months, open a window or door occasionally so it can enjoy the fresh air. Repot every year or two into a slightly larger pot using cacti compost. You will find it easier to tackle if you concertina a couple of sheets of newspaper and then fold these around the spines, leaving a 'tail' that you can use to lift the plant out of one pot and into another. Otherwise invest in some thorn-proof gloves!