giant white bird of paradise / wild banana
- in stock
(shipped within 7 working days)
- 19cm pot - 80cm tall
- Next / named day
- Position:bright indirect light
- Soil: loam-based potting compost (John Innes No3)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to May
- Hardiness: tender (will need winter protection)
- Current height: approximately 80cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot covers: choose a 20cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
This structural evergreen is primarily grown for its handsome (banana-like) foliage, which becomes shredded as it ages. Given time and the right conditions however, it may occasionally produce a a blue and white flowerhead too! In it's native environment, this plant can grow to a great height (the foliage alone nearing 4m), but when confined to a pot and kept as an indoor plant, it will be a much more modest, but no less decorative specimen. Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a black plastic pot). They do however make excellent potted plants, and if you wish to pot yours up, we do have a wide range of pots on our website to choose from.
- Garden care: During the growing season water regularly and apply a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Water sparingly in winter and top-dress each spring. As the old leaves become shredded, trim them off. The plants should be potted into a larger pot in autumn and may be left outside from May to September (provided there is no risk of frost). They need winter protection and can be kept in a greenhouse or conservatory from October through to April.