Sweet Pea collection 'Highly Scented'
Highly scented sweet pea plant collection
- 3 × 9cm pots
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: hardy annual
Sweet peas are enduringly popular climbing annuals that produce excellent cut flowers. The ones in this collection all have a strong scent, which will help fill your garden (and your home if you cut them) with their delicious perfume.
These sweet peas are autumn sown and grown in pots. They have been grown under a cold polythene tunnel and whilst they are hardy, they are still young and do need that extra bit of protection on cold nights for the first few weeks. Wrap them in some good quality horticultural fleece or bring them in to an unheated greenhouse or conservatory for the night.
In this collection you will receive one 9cm pot of each of the following three varieties (i.e. 3 x 9cm pots). Each pot contains approximately 5 seedlings.
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Chatsworth': Producing up to 6 pale lavender blooms, of outstanding fragrance, on each flowering stalk over the summer. Delicate frills and straight stems make this sweet pea a beautiful choice for exhibition, or simply scrambling over a or archway. Grows to 1.8m.
- Lathyrus odoratus 'Princess Elizabeth': First introduced in 1945, 'Princess Elizabeth' is still a sought after variety. Its large, salmon pink flowers are flushed with cream, and they have a delicious perfume, which can be appreciated in the border or a vase. A cottage garden classic, it can be trained over an obelisk or arch, or left to scramble over a retaining wall. Grows to 1.8m.
- Lathyrus odoratus 'King's High Scent': The delicate picotee colouring of this sweet pea, coupled with the flowers unusually powerful scent, make this a beautiful addition to the flower garden. Where space is at a premium, try filling large pots with them, and top it with a woven obelisk that they can scramble over. Throughout summer you will have a stunning feature for your terrace. Grows to 1.8m
- Garden care: Before planting out, incorporate lots of well-rotted organic matter in the planting hole. Apply a balanced liquid plant food every two weeks while in growth and deadhead regulary to encourage more flowers.