Symphyotrichum 'Little Carlow' (cordifolius hybrid)
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £4.95
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun - partial shade
- Soil: moist, moderately fertile soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Masses of small, cheerful, violet-blue daisies with bright yellow centres appear from late summer to mid-autumn on soft stems. A pretty aster that has been given the Award of Garden Merit by the Royal Horticultural Society. It loves some shade and will add a splash of colour to a late summer border.
- Garden care: After flowering cut the flowered stems to the ground and apply a generous mulch of well-rotted garden compost or horse manure around the base of the plant.