Eventual height & spread
Tradescantia fluminensis 'Maiden's Blush'
spider lily ( syn. Maidens Blush )
- shipped within 2 weeks
- 1 litre pot
- Next / named day
- Position: partial shade outside, or bright but indirect light inside
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil, or good potting compost
- Rate of growth: fast growing
- Hardiness: half hardy (will need winter protection)
This colourful and versatile plant can be used to jazz up the summer bedding display on the patio, or kept inside and grown as a house plant. Its trailing stems look great when cascading over the edges of a pot, but they will also make handsome groundcover in a partially shaded border. Emerging with a bright pink and cream flush, the foliage turns a deep green as it matures, but will often keep some of its creamy variegations.
- Garden care: Outside, grow in partial shade for the best foliage colour (as full sun can bleach out the colour) and move it to a sheltered spot as soon as the temperatures start to dip. Maintain temperatures above 10°C in winter. Water well in the growing season, but cut back gradually as the growth slows. Trimming back overly long or lanky stems will encourage bushier growth.