Tricyrtis formosana 'Dark Beauty'
- available to order from summer
- 2 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: partial or full shade
- Soil: moist but well-drained, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: August to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Unusual, star-shaped, purple-spotted flowers from August to September and smooth dark green leaves, which are spotted with dark purplish green. This toad lily is great for adding an exotic touch to the garden as well as vertical interest. Best grown in a sheltered, shady border or woodland garden. In colder areas of the country give the plant a deep, dry winter mulch.
- Garden care: In cold areas of the country provide a deep, dry, winter mulch around the crown of the plant. Lift and divide congested colonies in spring, while the plant is still dormant.