Tulipa 'Honky Tonk'
miscellaneous group tulip bulbs
- available to order from autumn
- 10 bulbs
- 30 bulbs
- Standard (dispatched separately)
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 6
Classified as a miscellaneous tulip, it has a cheery, pale yellow flower that is often flushed with pinky-red towards the top of the outer petals. The pointed petals form upright flowers that look like the flame of a candle, but as they mature the petals open and form a wide-spreading open bowl. It is quite low growing, so works well towards the front of a bedding scheme, and is equally happy in pots.
- Garden care: In September to December plant bulbs 15-20cm deep and 10-15cm apart in fertile, well-drained soil. Alternatively, allow 7-9 bulbs per 30cm sq. After flowering deadhead and apply a balanced liquid fertiliser each week for the first month. Once the foliage has died down naturally lift the bulbs and store in a cool greenhouse.
- Harmful if eaten/may cause skin allergy