- within 4 weeks
- 1 collection
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any but very dry soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: April to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Undemanding and versatile, these low-growing evergreens will produce showy flowers intermittently for several months after their initial flush in mid-spring. Originating from forest floors throughout Central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia, they are tolerant of most soils provided they are not too dry, and are valuable for providing pretty ground cover in sun or shade.
In each collection you will receive two of each of the following varieties, each in a 9cm pot.
- Vinca minor 'Atropurpurea':Pairs of dark green leaves develop along the long trailing stems, eventually creating a dense mat of rich green foliage that can be used to help keep weeds at bay. The 5-petalled flowers, which appear on long stalks, are a rich shade of plum-purple. Grows to 20cm.
- Vinca minor 'Gertrude Jekyll':If grown in a reasonably sunny position, this lesser periwinkle will provide an abundant show of pure white flowers, which contrast well with the deep green leaves. A compact form, it is suitable for growing in pots, or for filling gaps at the front of a border. Grows to 10cm.
- Vinca minor 'La Grave':Larger than average, salverform flowers form in the leaf axils of the slender stems. Their lavender-blue colouring mixes well with most shades of pink, purple and blue, while the plants prostrate habit will add structural diversity to ferns and hostas. Grows to 20cm.