Viola odorata 'Hungarian Beauty'
- shipped within 2 weeks
- 9cm pot
This perennial is semi-evergreen so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, humus-rich, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: February to March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Perfect for carpeting a woodland floor, filling gaps at the front of the border, or potting up for the patio or terrace, these rarely available violets will soon form a good-sized clump, which in late winter and early spring will be topped with small, but very pretty flowers. These flowers can be used to make hand-tied posies, or can be used to decorate cold drinks, cakes or salads.
- Garden care: Incorporate lots of well-rotted leaf mould or garden compost when planting. Protect young plants from slug damage using environmentally friendly slug pellets or beer traps. Deadhead the spent blooms to prolong flowering.