wallflower 'Fire King'
wallflower - Erysimum
- 2 + 1 FREE packs
- available to order from spring 2021
- 1 pack of 10
- Position: full sun
- Soil: poor to moderately fertile, well-drained, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: March to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
These are sold as bare-root plants, which have recently been dug up from the ground. Therefore, they will look a bit wilted and sad when they arrive, however field grown plants are usually stronger. They should be planted out as soon as possible, and they will usual pick up when they have settled in.
These dazzling orange-red wallflowers will put on a stunning display in early spring. Their sumptuous colouring looks dazzling when teamed with rich plums and purples, or can add sizzle to yellow, orange and red schemes. Often grown as a biennial plant, wallflowers perform best in full sun where their bright, fragrant flowers will shine. They look particularly effective in a large patio container or at the front of a sunny fertile, well-drained border.
- Garden care: Provide cloche protection where frosts are very severe or prolonged.