wallflower 'Purple Shades'
wallflower - Erysimum
- 2 + 1 FREE packs
- available to order from autumn
- 1 pack of 10
- Position: full sun
- Soil: poor to moderately fertile, well-drained, neutral to alkaline soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: March to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
These are sold as bare-root plants, which have recently been dug up from the ground. Therefore, they will look a bit wilted and sad when they arrive, however field grown plants are usually stronger. They should be planted out as soon as possible, and they will usual pick up when they have settled in.
Impressive plants for the spring garden, wallflowers produce an abundance of flowers - this one in a most spectacular shade of purple-red. For a wow-factor colour scheme, team it with rich purples and near-black tulips, or if you like acid brights, lime greens and oranges. You will want to plant more than you need, as they make excellent cut flowers and they have a wonderful clove-like perfume.
- Garden care: Provide cloche protection where frosts are very severe or prolonged.