Weigela All Summer Red ('Slingco1') (PBR)
weigela / weigelia
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Flowering period: April to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This is a wonderful deciduous shrub that just keeps on giving. The funnel-shaped flowers are a lush shade of red and they usually start appearing in mid-spring. The display does not skip a beat, but intensifies in early summer and continues all the way through to mid-autumn. It is compact enough for a pot, but you will also want to dot a few of these in the border. It is a must if you want strong colour over a really long period in summer.
- Garden care: Once established removing one or two of the older stems to the base in late summer, cutting back the flowered stems to strong shoots below the spent flowers.