Yucca elephantipes 'Elephant Foot'
- available to order from summer
- 33cm pot | 1.1m tall
- Standard £5.95
- Position: bright light, can tolerate full sun
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: slow
- Flowering period: summer/autumn
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 1.1m (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 36cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot but will need raising in the pot cover as planted in a bowl.
Also known as the spineless yucca, this is a great houseplant to have in your home without the added danger of eye-watering, pain-inducing spines! The leaves are evergreen and elongated, from 50 to 100cm in length by 5 to 7cm in width. The elephantine trunk, so to speak, splays out like an elephant’s foot and makes a fantastic statement in a well-lit part of the house or office.
- Home care: Place in a sunny spot, although it will take some shade. It is quite tolerant of temperature in the home but don't let it fall below 7°C. Water more often in the summer, feeling the top of the soil before you water, and reduce the watering through the winter months.
- Pets: Harmful if eaten; Humans: Skin allergen