Yucca gloriosa Bright Star ('Walbristar')
- available to order from late summer
- 13cm pot
- Position: full sun
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
The foliage of this decorative evergreen is beautifully variegated yellow and green, and when the temperatures drop, the leaf margins take on a rich pink hue. It forms a spikey rosette that has an architectural silhouette from which tall flowerspikes arise in summer. These are laden with pink buds, which open to blush-coloured bells. This is a wonderful plant for illuminating gravel gardens - and it will also look great in a pot on the patio.
- Garden care: During the growing season water well, applying a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Remove the faded flower-spikes at the end of the season.