Zygopetalum 'Trozy Blue' in kokedama moss ball
- available to order from spring
- Standard £4.95
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: these plants do not need to grow in compost, but if potting up, use a specialist orchid compost
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Number of stems: 1 flower stem
This unusual orchid is ideal for the enthusiast. The slender-petalled, wax-like flowers are an interesting mix of green, plum and purple-blue and they produce a fresh, sweet scent in the early morning, while the green foliage is often infused with black spots and streaks.
- Home care: Water weekly by sitting the pot in a tray of water (or the kitchen sink) for 15 minutes so it can soak up as much as they like, then leave it to drain throughly before moving it back into position. Maintain temperatures around 15-24°C and keep them in a bright spot with protection from direct sunshine during spring and summer. Don't worry if the roots grow outside the pot. In their native environment, they grow in the crooks of branches, and use these aerial roots to absorb water from the air. They do not mind being overcrowded in their pots, so you only need to repot them when the growth starts to suffer.