Acer palmatum 'Garnet'
- in stock
- 3 litre pot (25cm)
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: partial shade or full sun (but not south-facing)
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A pretty little tree, which has feathery, garnet-coloured leaves that turn bright scarlet in autumn looking as if they have been shredded. before they drop. Its rounded, compact habit makes it a perfect focal point for a small garden, particularly in a container. Or try it alongside an ornamental pool, where its sculptural shape will be reflected in the water. It needs a sheltered spot, away from strong winds or scorching sun, though its leaf colour is best enjoyed in a sunny position.
- Garden care: Add a top-dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of a newly planted tree in late spring and keep well watered. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.