Hedera colchica 'Sulphur Heart'
Persian ivy (syn. Paddy's Pride)
- in stock
- 2 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus-rich, preferably alkaline, moist, well-drained soil (or John Innes No3 potting compost for container-grown plants)
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: October and November
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This vigorous, self-clinging, variegated Persian ivy has heart-shaped, mid-green leaves splashed with yellow. As it matures, the variegation of the foliage becomes more pronounced. It is a handsome, self-clinging, evergreen climber suitable for brightening or covering a shady wall or as fast-growing groundcover. Mature plants bear large, spherical green flowers in autumn. It is particularly suited for planting in areas recently cleared of builder's rubble since it prefers alkaline soil. It works best in fertile, moist but well-drained, alkaline soil.
- Garden care: Water specimens grown as houseplants regularly during the growing season, providing a balanced liquid fertiliser each month. Keep moist during the winter months. Plants may be pruned at any time of the year to keep within bounds.