- in stock
- 2 litre pot
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Next / named day £6.95
- Position: full sun or shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Justifiably popular thanks to its unrivalled autumn colour, this vigorous creeper none the less needs to be handled with care. Its five-pointed, deeply divided, mid-green leaves turn brilliant shades of crimson-red in autumn and there are occasionally dark purple berries to add to the mix. It's a showstopping plant that will quickly romp across a large wall but it needs lots of space, regular pruning and will smother other plants it finds in its way. All of this make it an unsuitable choice for small gardens or for laissez-faire gardeners.
- Garden care: Provide some support until the plant is well established. (This may take up to two years). Once established, tie in stray shoots and prune in autumn or early winter to keep the plant within bounds, paying particular attention to stems that are encroaching on windows, guttering or roofs.