Acer palmatum 'Butterfly'
(shipped in 3-5 working days)
- 3 litre pot - 40cm
- Next / named day
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Flower colour: purple-red
- Other features: red winged fruit in late summer
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The lobed grey-green leaves, each of which has a slender white and shrimp-pink margin, are the main reason that this upright Japanese maple is so highly prized. It makes a great stand-alone specimen, and because it doesn't get too big, it also does really well on the patio. Do try to grow it in partial shade however, as the variegated foliage can get scorched in hot afternoon sun.
- Garden care: Add a top dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of the plant in late spring. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.