Acer palmatum 'Emerald Lace'
- available to order from autumn
- 3 litre pot - 40cm
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Very finely dissected emerald green leaves appear on the arching branches, creating a softly rounded crown, which turns dazzling shades of red and orange in autumn, just before the leaves drop. It makes a wonderful addition to the shrub border, but its handsome silhouette and fine foliage also makes it a worthy specimen plant. Its somewhat compact habit also means it will be quite happy in a large pot, provided it is kept well fed and watered.
- Garden care: Add a top-dressing of a well-balanced fertiliser around the base of a newly planted tree in late spring and keep well watered. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.