Acer palmatum 'Katsura'
- in stock
(shipped within 5 days)
- 3 litre pot - 40cm
- Next / named day
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun (but not south-facing)
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
When they first appear in spring, the lobed leaves are a bright orange, but they quickly turn to an orange-flushed yellow with a pink margin. As the spring progresses the colour deepens to a rich green, but then in autumn the whole leaf changes colour again, taking on a bright orange hue before they drop. 'Katsura' is a magnificent small tree or large shrub for a smaller garden where you want colour and interest for the better part of the year.
- Garden care: Add a top-dressing of a well-balanced fertiliser around the base of a recently planted tree in late spring and keep it well watered. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant.