Acer palmatum 'Uki-gumo'
Japanese maple ( syn. Acer palmatum 'Ukigumo')
- available to order from spring 2021
- 3 litre pot - 40cm
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The foliage of this unusual Japanese maple can be so highly patterned that it appears almost white. Each leaf is unique however, so the degree of patterning can vary (even from year to year), and each leaf's colouring will usually change with the seasons too. Typically though, you may expect to see some near-white leaves, some highly speckled green and white leaves, some lightly speckled green leaves (all of which can have pink overtones), and then in autumn, shades of yellow, red and orange leaves before they are shed.
- Garden care: Add a top dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of the plant in late spring. No routine pruning is required, just remove any dead, damaged or crossing branches in late autumn or winter when they are fully dormant. Avoid overhead watering and direct sun during the hottest part of the day.