Achillea millefolium 'Red Velvet'
- available to order from late summer
- 2 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained, non acidic
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The flattened, rosy-red flowerheads are held on upright stems above the aromatic fern-like foliage throughout summer. This cultivar is said to have a good resistance to colour fade. Best in full sun in the middle rank of the border. Achilleas will attract many beneficial insects including bees, butterflies and hoverflies to the garden.
- Garden care: Protect from slugs. Stake using twiggy stems before the flowers appear. Cut back after first flowering to encourage a secondary flush in late summer/early autumn. Old clumps can be revived by lifting, splitting and replanting in spring.