Eventual height & spread
zebra basket vine (syn. Aeschynanthus marmoratus)
- available to order from midsummer
- 18cm hanging pot
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: good potting compost
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 50cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot: supplied in a hanging pot ready to hang
The trailing stems of this decorative house plant are smothered in marbled, green and cream leaves, each of which has a red-patterned reverse. In it's native environment (forested areas of Thailand, Malaysia and Vietnam), it can be found growing in the crooks of tree branches, but here in the UK, it makes a very attractive house plant.
- Home care: Although not difficult to grow they do have certain requirements. They are used to the humidity of tropical rainforests so mist the leaves regularly and water regularly with tepid kettle or rain water from spring to autumn. Reduce watering in the winter to allow the plant a rest with slightly cooler temperatures. Avoid draughts and feed regularly through the growing season with a balanced houseplant fertiliser.
Please note: all our indoor hanging pots include drainage holes to prevent waterlogging. We recommend taking them down to water in the sinkor on a saucer, and leaving them to drain before rehanging.