Agapanthus 'Dokter Brouwer'
African lily (syn. Agapanthus Dr Brouwer)
- available to order from winter
- bare root
- 3 bare roots
- Standard (dispatched separately)
This perennial is semi-evergreen so it can lose some of its leaves in winter. In colder regions or more exposed gardens, it may lose them all, but then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil (or John Innes No.3 compost for containers)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: borderline hardy (may need protection in winter)
- Garden care: Keep well-watered during the growing season, applying a balanced liquid fertiliser each month from spring until the plant flowers. Towards the end of September cut back on the watering and feeding to allow the foliage to toughen up, and in cold, exposed areas protect the crown of the plant with a deep, dry winter mulch.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs