- 6 × 9cm pots
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
- Standard £4.95
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun
- Soil: well-drained, fertile soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to October
- Hardiness: fully hardy (borderline)
Hyssops are great for adding height to a border, with whorls of long-lasting, tiny flowers arranged like a bottlebrush and pointed, aromatic fresh green leaves that are attractive to butterflies. They are short-lived though, and may need replacing every few years, especially after a cold or wet winter. 'Blackadder' has smoky, violet flowers on long spires from July to October. Try it as part of a Mediterranean scheme or in a sunny, well-drained border among ornamental grasses.
- Garden care: Don't cut back the faded flower-stems until early spring, as they provide interest in the winter months. Lift and divide congested colonies in spring.