ornamental onion bulbs
- 20 + 10 FREE bulbs
- available to order from summer
- 10 bulbs
- Standard £4.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 7/8
A new addition to our range of Alliums, that immediately shot to the top of our wish-lists. In early to mid summer, each upright stem is crowned with a rounded cluster of small flowers, which seem to hover like large, brilliantly coloured jewels above the foliage. Each flower is made up of deep pink to purple petals surrounding a blueberry-purple centre, which creates a vibrant and exciting contrast of colours. Their drumstick shape is great for adding diversity to the border, while their sturdy stems makes them ideal for cutting. If left in the border after the flowers have faded though, the subsequent seed heads will add months of structural interest.
- Garden care: Plant bulbs 15cm deep and 15cm apart to enjoy the full effect of the flowers. Avoid excessive moisture from late summer when they become dormant. Over-large clumps can be lifted and divided in autumn or spring.