round-headed leek / allium bulbs
- available to order from summer 2021
- 50 + 25 FREE bulbs
- Standard (dispatched separately)
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Bulb size: 5/-
A gorgeous allium with small, egg-shaped flowerheads, that top tall, slender stems in mid- to late summer. Planted en-masse in a border, these diminutive claret-coloured flowers look great emerging from a screen of foliage, or against a backdrop of ornamental grasses. The foliage tends to die back before the flowers emerge, then the flowers gently fade as summer comes to a close.
- Garden care: For best effect plant the bulbs 8cm deep in natural drifts. Avoid soils that are too wet, and split and divide large clumps in autumn or spring.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs