Alocasia 'Black Velvet'
(shipped within 1-2 working days)
- 14cm pot - 30cm tall
- Standard £5.95
- Named day £14.95
- Position: bright but indirect light
- Soil: good houseplant compost
- Rate of growth: slow to average
- Hardiness: tender (indoors only)
- Current height: approximately 30cm (+ or - 10% including the pot)
- Pot cover: choose a 16cm pot cover to give a good fit over the pot
‘Black Velvet’ is a dazzling house plant, that oozes opulence and sophistication. Native to the jungles of Borneo, its luxuriant, duvet-like, deep green foliage is pierced through with a network of silvery veins. Smaller in comparison to other varieties, this Alocasia works beautifully as a dramatic focal point.
Please note that the pot in the photograph is not supplied with the plant (which is sent out in a simple nursery alternative), but we have a wide and wonderful range on our website to choose from.
- Home care: This plant needs warmth and humidity. If you have a warm, light bathroom that could be perfect. Otherwise stand the pot on a tray of damp pebbles to try and keep the humidity levels up and/or mist regularly. Keep the temperature at a minimum of 16°C, warmer if possible. Water regularly in the summer, reducing through the winter, and feed with a liquid feed in spring/summer every 3-4 weeks.
Dormancy is a natural process, triggered by a reduction in light, cooler temperatures, and drier air and soil mimicking the seasonal changes in the plant's natural environment. If the plant is beginning to enter a dormant period by shedding leaves or discolouring and dying back then reduce watering, light and maintain cooler conditions. The corm or bulb should only be watered lightly when the top inch of soil has become dry. The plant will regrow when warm, bright, moist conditions return.
- Humans/Pets: TOXIC if eaten; skin/eye irritant