Anemone × hybrida 'September Charm'
- available to order from late summer
- 2 litre pot
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist, fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A fabulous plant for bringing colour to the garden in late summer and autumn, this anemone has masses of large, rosy pink, cup-shaped flowers on tall, wiry stems from July to September. One of the most reliable and free-flowering of the Japanese anemones, these have distinctive purple-tinted stems and outer petals, which contrast beautifully with the pale pink inner petals. The leaves are pretty, too – vine-like, dark green, and semi-evergreen. They are perfect for areas of partial shade towards the back of a moist herbaceous or mixed border.
- Garden care: Cut back the stalks after the flowers have faded. Tidy up old dead leaves in March. Apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted garden compost or manure around the base of the plant in spring. Avoid moving the plant since it resents disturbance. Where necessary lift and divide congested clumps in early spring.