angelica / Angelica archangelica
- within 3 weeks
- 9cm pot
This herb dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full or partial shade
- Soil: deep, moist, fertile, loamy soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June and July
- Hardiness: fully hardy (but short-lived)
A majestic and impressive perennial with handsome foliage, this angelica also produces rounded umbels up to 25cm across, of small green flowers in early summer. Ideally suited to a reliably moist soil in partial to full shade, it has a striking achitectural presence and looks wonderful at the back of the border. Often short-lived, it will usually die back after flowering, but will self-seed freely if the conditions are favourable.
- Garden care: This plant usually dies after flowering, but if flowering is prevented, or the spent flowers are removed before they set seed, then it will often flower again for a second year.