self fertile - apple Scrumptious
- available to order from autumn
- m27 11.5 lt (bush)
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Ultimate size on MM106 rootstock: 5.5 x 5.5m (18 x 18ft)
- Ultimate size on M27 rootstock: 1.8 x 1.8m (6x6ft)
- Flowering period: April and May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Pollination Group: C - flowering mid to late season
This is perfect for smaller gardens as you dont need another tree to produce a bumber crop of sweet, crisp and aromatic fruits that are ready to eat in September. It will be happy in a large pot, as long as it is kep well fed and watered, and it has a good resistance to many of the common diseases. We think 'Scrumptious' is going to be very popular.
- Garden care: Keep the base of the tree weed free, fertilise at the beginning of each year and water regularly during hot, dry spells.
The main prune should be done in the winter as long as it isn't frosty or freezing. Take out the 3D’s (dead, dying and diseased wood) and create an open shape. Then reduce the leaders back by a third. Aim to create an airy structure without any crisscrossing branches. In August summer prune. Shorten any side shoots (or laterals) which are longer than 20cm back to three leaves. This will allow the sun to ripen the fruit and encourage more fruit buds. Make sure that the growth you’re cutting away feels firm to the touch.
- Pollination Information: This apple belongs to pollination group C, however it is self fertile, so does not need a pollinating partner to produce a bumper crop of apples. It can also be used to cross-pollinate with other apples in this group.