Astrantia major 'Penny's Pink'
- in stock
(shipped within 5 days)
- 9cm pot
- Next / named day
This perennial dies back to below ground level each year in autumn, then fresh new growth appears again in spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, preferably humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A new, very free-flowering astrantia that provides summer-long interest. Each rich pink flower cluster is surrounded by a ruff of green flushed, pale pink bracts, which are attractively veined with a deeper pink. Wonderful in the mixed or herbaceous border, they make easy companions for a host of other ornamentals including grasses.
- Garden care: Incorporate plenty of organic matter when planting and water well in dry weather, especially newly established plants. Lift and divide large clumps in early spring and apply a generous 5-7cm mulch of well-rotted manure or garden compost around the plant. Divided specimens may take some time to establish since they don't like having their roots disturbed.