Begonia (Pendula Group) 'Red Giant'
- available to order from winter
- 1 tuber
- 3 tubers
- Standard (dispatched separately)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to the first frosts
- Hardiness: tender (needs frost protection)
- Bulb size: 4/5
Larger than average double flowers seem to drip from the lax stems putting on an impressive display for months on end from midsummer. A must for hanging baskets, patio pots and windowboxes.
- Garden care: Pot up in early spring when the growth can be seen emerging from the tubers. Begonias are tender so must be protected from frosts, however you can pot them up and grow them on under glass from January onwards. The indented side of the tuber is the top, and this should just be covered by a fine layer of compost. Water well and keep them in a bright, warm spot, watering again only when the soil becomes quite dry. Once they are actively growing they can be watered more regularly, especially those growing in sunnier positions, but make sure that the compost or soil is never overly wet or waterlogged. During the growing season they can be fed with a balanced liquid fertiliser. Begonias grown in the ground should be lifted before the first hard frosts and left to die back before being stored in a well ventilated, dry place over the winter. Container-grown plants should be brought under cover during winter and 'potted on' into a slightly larger container each year in spring.
- Humans/Pets: Ornamental bulbs - not to be eaten