Berberis thunbergii f. 'atropurpurea'
purple Japanese barberry
- 6 × 9cm pots
- available to order from spring
- 9cm pot
- Standard £5.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow to average
- Flowering period: April and May
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Red-tinted, pale yellow flowers in mid-spring, followed by tiny, glistening, jewel-like, red fruits and deep purple leaves which turn a brilliant shade of red in autumn. The Japanese barberry, a deciduous, rounded shrub with a lax habit, makes a superb informal hedge.
- Garden care: Prune/trim in winter after the appearance of autumn fruits. Wear thick protective gloves when handling berberis, eye protection is advisable if using shears/hedge trimmer when cutting.