Berberis thunbergii 'Orange Rocket' (PBR)
- available to order from spring 2021
- 2 litre pot
This shrub is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow to average
- Flowering period: April to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
When grown in a sunny spot, the foliage colour of this dazzling deciduous shrub emerges a bright orange-red before turning a deeper ruby, so it really catches the eye when woven through the border or potted up on the patio. It has a naturally slender and upright habit, so it also lends itself well to forming a low(ish) hedge or screen. As well as the colourful foliage, Berberis 'Orange Rocket' also produces small yellow flowers in spring and early summer, and these are followed by red berries in the autumn. Keep in mind that in shadier spots, the foliage colour will not be as vivid (and will often turn greener), so if you want it to light up like a torch, it really should be grown in full sun.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Where some pruning is required, cut back in autumn or winter, after the appearance of the autumn fruits.