- available to order from autumn
- 12 lt pot (1.5-1.8m)
This tree is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or lightly dappled shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Diamond-shaped, bright green leaves hang from graceful, pendent branches. It is a fast-growing tree with white, peeling bark that becomes marked with black, rugged cracks as it gets older. In spring, yellow-brown male catkins appear and in late autumn the foliage turns yellow before falling. It is one of the most widely used birches, grown for its narrow, conical shape and ability to grow in almost all soils and situations.
All the Betulas we supply are single-stemmed, but they can be planted close together to create a multi-stemmed effect.
- Garden care: Birches don’t need much pruning, but you may want to remove any diseased or crossing branches. It is essential that any pruning work is carried out between late summer and mid-winter as the sap will 'bleed' heavily at other times. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake well.