Betula utilis var. jacquemontii
west himalayan birch multi-stem
- available to order from autumn
- 1.5lt pot multistem
- Standard £4.95
This tree is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or lightly dappled shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Sought after for their white bark, the colour of which develops fully when the tree is around 8 years old, and their dark green leaves that turn butter-yellow in autumn, this elegant tree will also produce yellowy brown catkins in spring. These trees have been cut back when young to create three separate stems. These are delivered as small plants, but in time will grow to into a spectacular multi-stemmed tree that will create an elegant garden specimen.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in late autumn or winter. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting and stake well.