Betula utilis var. jacquemontii
west himalayan birch
- available to order from autumn
- 12 lt pot (1.5-1.8m)
This tree is deciduous so it will lose all its leaves in autumn, then fresh new foliage appears again each spring.
- Position: full sun or lightly dappled shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: March
- Hardiness: fully hardy
As the tree ages, the bark turns bright white, which helps light up the garden in winter and acts as a beautiful contrast for the dark green leaves, which turn yellow in autumn. An elegant tree that is perfect for all gardens, large or small. It can be grown as a specimen in the lawn, in a group in a woodland or just planted as a feature in the garden border. The yellowy brown catkins it produces in spring are also attractive.
All the Betulas we supply are single-stemmed, but they can be planted close together to create a multi-stemmed effect.
- Garden care: Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in late autumn or winter. When planting incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake well.