blackberry 'Merton Thornless'
blackberry or Rubus 'Merton Thornless'
- In stock (shipped within 7-9 working days)
- 3 litre pot
- available to order from winter
- bare root plant
- 2 + 1 FREE bare roots
- Standard £5.95
- Named Day £10.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The thorn-free stems of this blackberry make it easy to harvest the large, succulent fruits, which appear in abundance in late summer and early autumn. It's also a great option for smaller spaces, as although it will get reasonably large, it can be trained against a wall or fence - and you won't get scratched if you accidentally brush past it.
- Garden care: Prepare the ground well before planting. Remove all weeds and dig in plenty of well-rotted manure. Allow 2m between each plant and 2m between rows. Each spring, mulch well with well-rotted manure. Plants flower on one-year-old wood, so the new canes need to be separated from fruiting ones. After cropping, cut the fruiting canes down to the ground and tie in the new ones that have grown that year.