Blechnum brasiliense 'Volcano' (PBR)
hard fern , deer fern
- available to order from autumn
- 9cm pot
- Standard £4.95
- Position: partial or deep shade
- Soil: moist, humus-rich, acid soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Hardiness: frost hardy (but usually fully hardy when established)
Recently introduced to the UK, this Brazillian 'tree' fern does eventually form short stem as it matures. It's for the newly emerging bright red fronds that it is most sought after. These fronds are a good size, and they form a distinctive shuttlecock shape so it is quite architectural. As they mature the fronds turn bronze, then finally settle on a rich green colour as the season progresses.
- Garden care: It will usually require some winter protection for the first few years. Incorporate lots of well-rotted leaf mould or garden compost into the planting hole. Keep well watered during the growing season.