Buddleja davidii 'Royal Red'
(shipped in 2-3 working days)
- 2 litre pot
- Standard £5.95
- Named day £14.95
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July to September
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Clusters of fragrant, red/purple flowers, which are very attractive to butterflies, top the gently arching branches from midsummer. This butterfly bush produces some of the largest blooms currently available, and if the shrub is pruned hard each spring, the honey-scented flowerspikes can grow up to an impressive 50cm (20in) long. The mid- to grey-green leaves will turn butter-yellow in autumn before they fall, and this coupled with the showy flowers, makes it a fine specimen for a sunny position. Deadheading the buddleja will encourage it to produce more flowers and stop any unwanted seedlings.
- Garden care: Prune back hard in March, removing all of the previous year's growth to three or four buds.