Cusick's camass bulbs
- available to order from autumn
- 5 bulbs
- 15 bulbs
- Standard (dispatched separately)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moist but well-drained, fertile, humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
- Bulb size: 12/14
This is a handsome plant that can be threaded through the herbaceous border, but it also looks wonderful when planted in generous drifts in a meadow-style setting (it originates from prairies in North America). The star-shaped flowers are azure blue, and open from the base of the upright spike in late spring and early summer, and if left in the ground it will naturalise easily.
- Garden care: Plant the bulbs 8cm deep and 20cm apart in big groups in the autumn. Try to plant them where they will remain for several years as they resent being moved. In cold areas, apply a generous layer of mulch in autumn.
- CAUTION do not eat ornamental bulbs