Camellia reticulata 'Mary Williams'
camellia 'Mary Williams'
- available to order from autumn
- 1.5 litre pot
- Position: partial shade (but not east-facing)
- Soil: moist but well-drained, humus-rich, acid soil (or ericaceous compost for container-grown specimens)
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: February to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Invaluable for adding a splash of late winter and early spring colour, this compact camellia will thive in partially shaded borders (with acidic soils) - or it can be grown in large pots filled with ericaceous compost. It offers year round interest, but its when the large, single or semi-double pink flowers appear that it really earns its keep.
- Garden care: To prevent damage to the emerging buds and flowers, protect from cold, dry winds and early morning sun. Water established plants in dry weather to prevent bud drop. Apply a balanced liquid fertiliser in mid-spring and again in June. Top-dress annually with shredded bark or well-rotted leaf mould. After flowering lightly trim or prune any branches that spoil the appearance of the plant.