Carex testacea 'Prairie Fire'
- within 4 weeks
- 9cm pot
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: any, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to August
- Hardiness: frost hardy (needs winter protection)
An impressive addition to pots and gravel gardens, this handsome sedge forms a dense, arching mound of orange-green foliage, which in summer is topped with flowerspikes that become taller as the season progresses. The foliage of Carex 'Prairie Fire' is the real star however, and as it's evergreen, it's invaluable for adding warmth and colour to the garden during the winter months.
- Garden care: Comb through the plant in winter to remove dead foliage.