Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy'
- in stock
- 4lt pot
- in stock
- 3 lt pot (30-40cm)
- within 2 weeks
- 10 lt pot (1.5-1.8m)
- Standard FREE (orders over £50), or £3.95
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: March to April
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Deep purple, heart-shaped leaves on a spreading, often multi-stemmed tree. In spring, crimson, purple or pink flowers appear on the bare stems but it is the leaves which make this tree so attractive. The colour becomes subdued in summer but it is one of the best coloured-leaved small trees. Like Cercis siliquastrum, it does prefer a warm, south-facing spot.
- Garden care: Plant in their final location when young as they resent being transplanted. Requires minimal pruning. Remove any broken, diseased or crossing branches in late autumn or winter. However for large foliage this variety can tolerate hard pruning in early spring once it is established, then apply a balanced general purpose fertiliser.When planting, incorporate lots of well-rotted garden compost in the planting hole and stake firmly.