Cistus × pulverulentus 'Sunset'
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately-fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June and July
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection in cold areas)
Originating from dry, rocky parts of the Mediterranean, this rock rose is both drought-tolerant and low maintanance. Plant it in a sunny spot with freely draining soil, and it will reward you with masses of magenta flowers, each with a prominent yellow eye, in midsummer. Compact, yet with a spreading habit, it makes an attractive, evergreen edging plant for the front of a sheltered border. It will also do well in a pot on a sunny patio.
- Garden care: After flowering, pinch back young plants to encourage bushier growth. Lightly trim or cut back any stems that spoil the symmetry of the plant.