Cretan rock rose
- available to order from autumn
- 2 litre pot
- Position: full sun
- Soil: moderately-fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June and July
- Hardiness: frost hardy (may need winter protection)
A succession of papery, purplish-pink flowers appear just above the evergreen foliage from early to midsummer on this compact, sun-loving shrub. It is ideal for a small, sheltered border, but it will also flourish when potted up and placed on a sunny patio. An excellent choice for chalky soils or warm, coastal areas, it's said that the leaves have been used for centuries in Crete to create an aromatic tea.
- Garden care: After flowering, pinch back young plant to encourage a bushy habit. Lightly trim or cut back any stems that spoil the symmetry of the plant. It benefits from a liquid feed after flowering.Plant in a sheltered spot and avoid winter wet.